The Degree show is like the Pre-Degree show where you show your work in a large space, however, this time you have more say in what happens with your work. You will sign yourself up for a group meeting with the head of your course so they can explain what will happen in the next two months. This gives you an opportunity to ask things that you are worried about. You can also discuss the space that you require for your work. Make sure you have a walk round to get a good idea of what you are looking for!
You will be asked to send a digital copy of your Degree show proposal explaining how much room your art work needs and what you plan to show. You are better over exaggerating the space you need instead of not giving yourself enough because it is a lot easier to take away than it is to gain. Try and be as clear as possible on what it is that you want. The tutors will be the ones deciding where your work goes however, you still have a say after everything has been organised.
Here is what you should include in your Degree Show proposal:
• Roughly what form the work will take, i.e., “ a series of wall mounted works’, “a series of 3D works”, “a large scale projection”, “an installation”, “ a performance” etc.
• Whether you need predominately wall-space, floor-space or a mixture of both.
• Whether you will require daylight, a dark space, a mix.
• Whether the work involves sound from speakers (i.e. not through headphones)
• Any technical requirements.
• What construction work will be required, i.e., closed space, open space, a wall/s etc.
• Any specific Health and Safety concerns you think may be involved.
• What AV equipment will you require? Do you have your own equipment or will you be getting loan equipment from Grays? All electrical equipment must be PAT tested before it can be used for your show.
The space you will be using for the Degree show is located within Gray’s School of Art which is good because it is a familiar environment that you have grown up with for four years. There are walls that can be moved, stairs that can be created, walls to be painted, lights added everywhere – anything you wish! The tutors and yourself will work together to make sure that your work is portrayed the way you want it to but they will also give you helpful criticism.
The Degree show will be open to the public from Saturday the 17th until the 24th of June. Monday to Friday the Degree show will be open from 10am until 8pm and Saturday and Sunday open from 10am until 5pm. Free Entry. I hope to see you there.